Frequently Asked Questions

This FAQ website is intended for informational purposes only. It’s essential to verify information with the respective colleges and universities and consult with financial aid advisers and admissions offices at Utah colleges for personalized guidance.


“College is Utah” connects individuals interested in college to the resources they need to take the first step and apply. It is a completely free service run by the Utah System of Higher Education, made up of the 16 public colleges and universities in Utah. There are so many great resources out there, and we want to help you find them.


No, “College is Utah” connects individuals to statewide resources about public colleges in Utah. By signing up for our newsletter, you can get a variety of information about Utah’s 16 public colleges and universities including information on admissions, financial aid, available programs, and more.


Yes, you can still go to college in Utah even if you didn't get good grades in high school. Many colleges in Utah are open admission, which means all students with a high school diploma or its equivalent (GED) are accepted for admission, regardless of their level of academic preparation for lower division course work. Some colleges and universities have admissions requirements, but you’ll know what those are before you apply if you ask one of the admissions counselors at the college you are interested in.

Contact Admissions Offices: Reach out to the admissions offices at the colleges you're interested in attending to discuss your specific situation. They can provide guidance on the admission process and any alternative pathways they may offer.


ADULT EDUCATION INFORMATION (GED, English as a Second Language, and more!)


There are many resources available to help make higher education affordable. Here are some options and resources to consider:

1. State Aid:

Utah offers a variety of scholarships and other aid to pay for college. Learn more about what state aid is available at


2. Federal Financial Aid:

There is no age limit to receive federal financial aid! Almost everyone is eligible for some type of federal student aid.

Every year, Utahns leave federal money unclaimed that could be used for their education.

Federal financial aid is awarded through the U.S. Department of Education.

There are three categories of federal student aid:

  • Grants—Student aid funds that do not have to be repaid. * Most federal grants are based on financial need.
  • Work-study—Money earned through a job on or near campus while attending school.
  • Loans—Borrowed money that must be repaid with interest.

To be eligible, students must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to keep in touch with your college about receiving the aid.

For more information about federal student aid, including basic eligibility requirements, visit

Also, see more information here about the FAFSA:


College and University Scholarships:

Colleges in Utah offer many scholarships to incoming students based on financial need, academic achievement, extracurricular involvement, or other criteria. Check with the college you're interested in attending for information on available scholarships and application requirements.


Private Aid:

Numerous private organizations, foundations, and businesses offer scholarships to college-bound students. Websites like Fastweb, Chegg, Appily, and the College Board's Scholarship Search can help you find private scholarships that match your qualifications and interests. Private scholarships and tuition reimbursement may also be available from your employer, so be sure to ask.

In general, it is best to look into state and federal aid before private student loans. However, private scholarships and other aid that you don’t have to pay back are a great option!


Part-Time Work:

Working part-time while attending college can help cover living expenses and reduce reliance on loans. Many colleges and universities have on-campus job opportunities for students.


529 College Savings Plans:

If your family has been saving for your education, Utah has a 529 college savings plan. These plans offer tax benefits and can be used to cover tuition, fees, books, and other qualified education expenses. Learn more about Utah’s 529 college savings plan.


Financial Aid Offices:

Be sure to look into all of your options and check with the college you are interested in attending to see what financial options are best for you. Each college and program also have more scholarships and aid available for you to explore.


Many of Utah’s public colleges are test-optional. That means that you don’t need to take the ACT or SAT to apply for standard admission. Additionally, many of Utah’s colleges have open enrollment. Open enrollment means that any prospective student who has completed high school or attained a GED certificate may enroll in classes, regardless of their GPA or standardized test scores.

Keep in mind, that though these test scores aren’t needed to apply to college, they can help you qualify for some scholarships and aid. Additionally, admission policies can change over time, and institutions may have different requirements and preferences. So, it's important to check we admissions office of the college you are interested in applying to for more information.

To do this, visit the official websites of the institutions you are considering or contact their admissions offices directly. They will have the most up-to-date information on their admission policies, including whether they still require SAT or ACT scores or if they have continued their test-optional policies.

Keep in mind that even if an institution is test-optional, you may still choose to submit your SAT or ACT scores if you believe they strengthen your application. Admissions decisions are typically based on a holistic review of all application materials.